5 October 2010

Troubleshooting - Volume Control Disabled

It's been long time; I haven't posted anything over here. I guess, my new job is keeping me busy or the distance I travel was eating up all the spare time. Hehe...

Here's something what I faced today. For some reasons, the Volume Control icon was missing from my Task bar. I started troubleshooting and opened the Control Panel > Sounds, Speech, and Audio devices > Sounds and Audio devices. This particular screen was disabled. 


To troubleshoot further, I did the following:
Start > All Programs > Accessories > Entertainment > Volume Control

I received the following message:
"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, Go to Control Panel and Other Hardware, and then click ADD HARDWARE."

I tried to Add Hardware, but I didn’t know if I should select existing hardware or add a new hardware. I skipped that process and did the following:

From the Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Double click on Services > Click on Windows Audio > Restart the service.
Once you have restarted the Windows audio service, you must restart the system.
This worked for me. I hope this will be helpful to anyone of you in case, you face this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment